Thursday, August 27, 2009

Relationships

As I sit at my computer, I hear Celine Dion singing on the radio in the background My Heart Will Go On, the theme song from the movie Titanic. This song has great meaning to me because I heard it the first time, at the movies, just before my second wife Anne died.

Music definitely evokes memories and Celine’s song brings back many memories for me - some good and some bad. Anne was in horrible shape, almost ready to give up her battle against the Big C. Then Barrett, her law son arrived from Stilwell to bolster her resolve.

Barrett is neither Anne’s real son nor mine, but it would be impossible to imagine having a biological son as incredibly caring as he was. It seemed all our friends and family was abandoning us at the time, certain that Anne was about to die and not wanting to be around when she did. Barrett was different. He may have felt that she was going to die, but he wanted to spend as much time with her as possible before that event actually occurred.

That weekend, Anne dragged herself out of bed. Later, we had a call from old friends Sam and Stephanie. They asked us to join them at the movies to see Titanic. I do not know how Anne made it, but she did. The movie was long but heart-rending, and prophetic for what was about to happen. Still, it was one of the best of Anne’s last days.

I consider myself a lucky person because I have had two great loves in my life – first Anne and now Marilyn. As I tap this little story on my computer, I think about Celine’s song, and the last days of a wonderful relationship.

Gondwana

No comments: