Monday, August 24, 2009

Greatest Geological Spectacle


As a graduate student at the University of Arkansas, I quickly learned the beauty and mystery of the geology around me. My thesis advisor, Dr. K, wanted me to complete a thesis on the stibnite deposits in southwest Arkansas. Dr. K was, and is, my geologic hero, and I wanted whatever he wanted.

I began spending every weekend in Sevier County near the little town of King. The campground where Gail, my ex-wife and I stayed is a dead-ringer for the one that I describe in my novel A Gathering of Diamonds. Gail and I spent days, deep in the forests of southwest Arkansas. Although we are no longer together, I will say this for her: she was a trooper, following me into blind canyons, dark abandoned mines and musty caverns with no fear for her life.

In Gathering, Tom and Mary Ann meet two deranged hillbillies, deep in the Ouachita Mountains. I did not make this up. Gail and I were actually terrorized by two crazy-as-hell hillbillies and were both happy that we lived to tell about it.

There is a road cut near Caddo Gap that is a geologic wonder, perhaps the greatest geologic spectacle of them all. I wish I could find my old pictures, and someday I will return to duplicate them.


I want to visit three more geologic wonders, Jamaica, Iceland and the Afar Triangle before I die, but I have already seen the ultimate, and it was deep in the heart of the Ouachita Mountains.


No comments: