Saturday, August 29, 2009

Old Friends

While googling articles on Arkansas quartz, I came across a blast from the past: the website of a person that I had attended grad school with and haven’t seen in probably thirty years.

Mike went to work for the Arkansas Geologic Commission after graduating from U of A and has one of the largest collections of Arkansas minerals in the world. Mike and I made a trip to Oklahoma looking for work shortly after we finished our course work at Arkansas. I am still here, after all these years.

Seeing Mike’s website got me to thinking about other old friends that I haven’t seen in many years. After several wrong numbers, I reconnected with Joel in Colorado, a close friend that I haven’t talked with in years. We decided a reunion in Arkansas is in order. Now all we have to do is plan it, and then reconnect with all the others we haven’t seen in years.

I went even further back and tried to reconnect with old friend (a person featured in the article Summer of Bologna) Russ, doctor of geology at Nicholls State University in Louisiana. I found that he is no longer there, so I guess I will start calling wrong numbers until I find him.

These days, friends seem disposable. You can always make others. Well, maybe not. Maybe some of your old friends are the best friends you will ever have. Tonight, I began testing this theory and after talking with old friend Joel, I am convinced of it.

Gondwana

No comments: