Sunday, September 04, 2005

Vivian Confidential - Part Three

It's August, and hot. Just as it was one night many years ago. I was home for the weekend from college and I'd brought my roommate, Ray, with me. Like college students today, we didn't have a lot of money. We did have enough to buy two quart bottles of Schlitz and a five-pack of Swisher Sweets. After about two circuits of town, we were feeling pretty good, even if the streets were mostly deserted. I had a blue and white '59 Chevy station wagon. No very fast and not very flashy. At least we had a set of wheels.
A couple of hours had passed, our beer warm and we were bored. A large cherry coke at the Tastee-Freez sounded pretty good. Pulling slowly into the lot, we expected nothing more than a quick soda before heading home with our tails tucked between our legs. To our surprise, we found G-- and S-- in the parking lot, sitting in their Fairlane. It was easy to see that they were both also bored. G-- and S-- were also home from college for the weekend.
"I know these girls," I told Ray.
"Oh yeah? They're kinda cute. I like the brunette."
"You'll have to settle for the blonde," I said. "G's-- mine."
From their animation, I could tell they were happy to see us when we pulled in beside them . Hell! They would have been happy to see anyone if they were half as bored as Ray and I. G-- and S-- grinned wickedly when Ray flashed them a glimpse of his half-finished bottle of Schlitz.
I wasn't so sure.
Months before, I had broken up with G--. Not in a suave, sophisticated way, but like a mostly 18 year old feeling his oats and hormones. Even though G-- was smiling, my heart raced as Ray and I opened the car door and sauntered up to G's-- window - still rolled up.

No comments: