Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gimme a Shot, Doc!

I was deleting spam from my email address this morning when an errant program appeared on my computer screen. It was a program call Super Virus Scan 2008 and it began scanning my computer. Before I could say scat the rogue program reported to me that I had a bezillion spy ware objects on my computer and the only way to remove them was to go to the rogue program’s website, purchase their software and use it to clean their virus off my computer.

This didn’t sit very well with me. I’m not very bright but I wasn’t born yesterday. Giving my credit card to a company that had just purposely infected my computer was something that wasn’t going to happen. Well, it’s almost nine P.M. and the infection is still on my computer despite my best efforts to correct the situation.

I’m writing my new novel on this computer and it is where my website and blog information is located. I have the info backed up to an external hard drive but I suspect that it is also infected with Monsieur Virus. What to do, what to do?

Irritating? No way! It is nothing less than maddening to have someone obviously more knowledgeable than I am to take control of something that is almost an extension of my hands, and certainly my brain. Maybe I should go back to a standard typewriter but at which junk store would I buy one. Even if I had a Remington Selectric, where would I find someone to clean and service it? Hey! And things didn’t go very well at the office today either.

Fiction South

No comments: