Saturday, January 21, 2006

Route 66

Growing up, my favorite television series was Route 66.  I never really knew where Route 66 went but I rarely missed an episode, and never on purpose.  All I had to do was listen to the Theme From Route 66 to get into the mood for adventure.  Todd Stiles and Buzz Murdoch were my heroes.  Buzz always got the girl and Todd always got a broken heart but whatever happened they faced it with a sense of adventure and elan.

Todd and Buzz were Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.  I’m not sure who was which (or maybe which was whom).  One thing I do know, that lusty red Corvette was their faithful steed that carried them into battle.

Tonight I was in a restaurant in Edmond, Oklahoma with Marilyn.  Two men came in and sat across from us at the oblong-shaped bar.  They asked the bartender about Route 66.  He pointed them to a wall in back where they had a few pictures but proclaimed to know little about the subject himself.  It dawned on me that neither did I.

Although I’m originally from Louisiana I’ve lived in Oklahoma for many years.  Route 66 goes directly through Edmond.  I wondered briefly if the two men were sons of Todd and Buzz.  I don’t know but when Marilyn and I left the restaurant we saw the back of a gorgeous 1960 Corvette disappear around a darkened corner.  Yes, it was fire engine red.

http://www.ericwilder.com  http://energyissues.blogharbor.com

No comments: