Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mom's Pineapple Pie - a weekend recipe

Mom’s Pineapple Pie


My favorite pie has always been pineapple. My mother would bake pineapple pie for me whenever I came home from college. On holidays, I would have three, one from my mother and one each from my two grandmothers. They were all good, but different. While looking through some of Mother’s old cookbooks, I stumbled on her pineapple pie recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 c. sugar
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp. flour
2 egg yolks, well beaten
2 c. evaporated milk
½ stick butter
1 large can crushed pineapple, drained
1 tsp vanilla or pineapple juice

Combine sugar and flour in saucepan; add salt, egg yolks, milk and butter. Stir until smooth; cook over low heat until thick. Add pineapple and vanilla; remove from heat. Pour into one 9-inch cooked pie shell. Top with meringue.

Fiction South

No comments: