Monday, May 15, 2006

Lake Stratford Ghost Dog


Growing up in north Louisiana, there were times with little else to do except scare each other with ghost stories. Here is one that may have some basis in fact. This happened many years ago, so forgive me if my facts – as I remember them - aren’t 100 % correct.

Cass County, Texas and Caddo Parish, Louisiana are adjacent to each other. The Cass County line is about four miles from the town of Vivian, Louisiana. Not far west of Vivian there is a small lake – Stratford Lake. Years ago, there were trailers and fishing camps around the lake. The area has since been developed and now there are many expensive homes near there.

I suspect there was a community in the vicinity, perhaps called Stratford, prior to the Civil War. I don’t know this, but a grave there suggests the connection. As I remember the inscription, it said:

Benjamin Franklin Brown (I don’t remember the actual last name)
Hanged as an abolitionist
18?? – 18??

The story goes that BFB had a large wolf-like dog. Supposedly, the dog continues to guard his master’s grave and is often spotted on moonlit nights roaming the area. I never saw the dog myself, although others have, but I did see the grave and yes, I did read the inscription. I have searched the Web for info about the Lake Stratford Ghost Dog but have found nothing. If you have any information, please let me know and I will update this story for those as curious as I. http://www.ericwilder.com http://justeastofeden.blogharbor.com

No comments: