Sunday, October 30, 2005

Vivian Confidential - Part Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

The huge black wolf abandoned the tree from where G and I watched. Within seconds we heard a blood-curdling scream. It was S.

"It’s got them," G said. "We have to help."

She shimmied down the tree before I could answer. Grabbing a limb, I dropped to the soft earth and followed after her through the darkness, not knowing how she intended to save Ray and S even if she arrived in time to do so. It didn’t matter. She was intent on trying and there was little I could do except follow her.

G ran down the logging trail back to the car. Tripping in a hole, she fell on her face, careening forward into loose dirt. Right behind her, I stepped into the same hole and fell on top of her. For a long moment, we both rolled around, attempting to regain our senses, and our bearings, before getting up, dusting ourselves off and hurrying back toward the car. What we saw when we got there caused the small hairs on back of my neck to rise.

Ray and S were on top of the Fairlane, the wolf standing on his hind legs, fully extended to the roof of the car and nipping at their heels. The moon had reached its full ascent. Its glow lighted the scene like a spotlight and it only took a minute for the wolf to notice G and me. S also saw us and began to scream. I would have done the same but I was running for my life.

G hadn’t waited for me. When the wolf dropped from the roof and started around the car after us, she ran in the opposite direction. I quickly followed her. The wolf could easily have caught us in a straight line but was unable to immediately catch us as we ran in circles around the Fairlane. On the second circuit, the snarling monster nipping at our heels, G stepped up on the bumper and hoisted herself onto the hood of the car. The diversion allowed me to put distance on the pursuing beast and on the next lap around the car I followed G’s path to the car’s hood

With the four of us on top of the Fairlane, we all began screaming for help.

Conclusion Tomorrow
http://www.ericwilder.com http://justeastofeden.myblogsite.com http://ericwilder.blogspot.com http://energyissues.modblog.com

No comments: