Saturday, August 13, 2005

Dogs


I have two big dogs, Lucky and Velvet. My deceased wife, Anne, bought Lucky a few months before she passed away. He is a full-blood Labrador Retriever and he has been my best friend for many years. When I would sit in my chair and cry, feeling sorry for myself, Lucky would stare at me with his big brown eyes. "Is there something I can do?" his eyes seemed to say.

For a couple of years, I took him with me every where I went. He is such a large dog -- 110 pounds -- this became hard to do. When I had an appointment, I had to leave him at the house. He was so needy! While visiting a PetSmart, I adopted a dog named Slick, a gorgeous Gordon Setter. He and Lucky got along and, for awhile, I could actually get a little work done during the day.

Slick had a problem! He could jump over a six-foot stockade fence and he liked to run. Every night, I would have to track him down and bring him home. He took to following two twin boys that lived in my neighborhood. When their mother called, I knew what she wanted before she showed up at my door.

"My family loves Slick. The boys, my husband and my other children are crazy about him. You don't have time to give him your full attention, do you?
I had to admit that I didn't.

Once again, Lucky and I were alone (I had my cats, but those of you that have kitty's know that they own you, not the other way around).

Anyway, I was visiting my pool service on Western in OKC. A pretty puppy came from the back, wagging its tail. "What a nice dog," I said.

"If you like her, you better take her. The boss says we're going to put her out on the street at five."

I took the puppy with me. She had an attitude, putting my 110 pound Lab in his place with a nip. I fully intended to put an ad in the paper and give her away to some well deserving family. Before that happened, I got attached. So did Lucky! Velvet, a German Shepard mix, became part of the family.

I have had a wonderful spouse and so many personal friends pass away, leaving me to cope on my own, and so many pets, King Tut, Chani, Mad Max, Silky -- I just have to take a deep breath and remember that I still have both of my wonderful parents (I didn't always believe they were so wonderful! But they are), a couple of favorite Aunts (no better in the whole world!), a few cousins, in particular, and so many friends. Thank you, God. I am blessed. Eric

http://www.ericwilder.com/

No comments: